Monday, September 26, 2005

Being gay = More contributions to society?

Posted by: GayGuy
When I received this email from someone who did not state if he wished to be identified, I felt confused, happy, encouraged and angry, all mixed together.

Read on and you will get what I mean:
This is an email sent on the 19th of September. Some minor short-forms has been corrected.

From: *removed*@hotmail.com
To: gay_2_d_bone@yahoo.com

Hi, this is *removed* who saw the website on Chubsg forum [Link].

To me, I feel that the growth of gay population would witness the drop in population because gay couples cannot help to accelerate the birth rates.

To make it up, I feel that members of the gay community in the community services should help out in programs that encourage straight couples to have more than just 1 or 2 kids in their family.

Also, because gays are not able to contribute to the increase in birth rates, they should make it up by contributing to societies by doing extra on their part in compensation in whatever areas they can.

My suggestion, I know may cause mixed feelings, but it is worth considering and I gladly accept your suggestions or opinions as to what I propose here.

Doing the extra bit for society should not be taken as a pressure but as a pleasure that gays are contributing more than others to the Nation! This is also a positive publicity for gays to clear some public misconceptions that gays are giving societies more problems with their loose morals and multiple sex partners as well as preference for One Night Stand in their open relationship type of lifestyle.

Best wishes!
The title of this email message reads: "Gladly Accept Your Suggestions (G.A.Y.S.)".

I am glad that you expressed your concern for us being unable to contribute to society in terms of Singapore’s birth rate, as we are homosexuals. The words you used, as you have predicted, aroused mixed emotions in me. I was quite shocked at the amount of misunderstanding expressed, although it oddly seems pro-homosexual.

Of course, I would like to encourage everyone reading this post to contribute to society, in any way we can, whether queer or not. There are a lot of homosexuals, just like you and me, living normal lives. I don't believe that our sexual preference should act as a determinant to whether or not we should serve in the community. I took part in voluntary work during the December 2004 Tsunami crisis, working as a packager for publicly donated items. I helped them prepare the items for shipping and it never did occur to me once that I am serving them as a gay individual.

To me, the letter sounded more like a bad ST Forum letter. I am not sure about your argument: "I feel that the growth of gay population would witness the drop in population because gay couples cannot help to accelerate the birth rates."

While it is undeniable that the gay population cannot contribute to the rise of birth rates, you seem to be implying that "being gay" is a genetic trait, rather than an individual's upbringing, where it is not affiliated with their parent's genetic makeup. The ubiquitous question of ‘nature’ versus ‘nurture’ remains.

I believe that doing community work is something that is self-driven, and you did state that it was not something that should be forced out of people. Doing countless good deeds to show others what we have done might be counter-productive, though I do understand that wasn’t your intention. Taking in consideration that homosexuality has always been the victim of careless criticism; the community’s efforts might not be taken seriously and objectives, unmet.

Public misconceptions are prevalent, as people often associate gay men with drag queens, transvestites, sissies, or just ‘gay’ with images of effeminate men in mind. Butches on the other hand are represented as “beer-bingeing” women, if a certain article from the English daily is to be quoted.

I do hope that the homosexuals and heterosexuals alike can cross that boundary of even having to name our sexual orientation at all. These terms, just like ethnic divisions, separates us, driving a wedge in society and causing good friendships to become distant, or even break apart.

I believe you have submitted this letter to us with good intentions, but I hope you do get what I have said in this post. Thank you for your letter, and we look forward to getting responses from everyone, including anonymous readers. We will be "Gladly Accept[ing] Your Suggestions" too. If you are new here and would like to have your say, click here to find out how you can reach us.
Thank you for your contribution.

-Edited

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

What can queers do?

If queers can't have babies maybe they can adopt the unwanted babies crated by "breeders" who don't want them or are unfit parents. Or maybe another thing to consider is all the hetero people who are born infertile or become infirtile. Should we know question their worth/purpose in society and how they can help out?

In a world where overpopulation is becoming a terrible global pandemic we need to think seriously about ways to curb population not expand it to drain the world's food, resources etc. anymore than we already are.

Perhaps homosexuality is nature or G-D's way to prevent overpopulation.

3:49 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

It has been hypothesised by several leading evolutionary scientists, professor Richard Dawkins among them, that the high numbers of homosexuality in animals could be an evolutionary method to prevent overpopulation and thus starvation in herds, thus preventing the Malthusian catastrophe among the members of a herd.

http://www.simonyi.ox.ac.uk/dawkins/FAQs.shtml#gaygene to read more. Enjoy! =)

12:28 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

lol.

lemme now go do my part for the nation and encourage all the straight people around me to procreate copiously.

c'mon, gimme a break.

10:34 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Rubbish nonsense! I certainly am not going to let being gay prevent me from having children. As Lady Queer says, there are ways and means...

If Singapore is really so short of babies, they should encourage gay people to have children as well, instead of penalising them financially - losing jobs, no baby bonus, etc...

And that line about objections from the "conservative heartlanders", I don't buy it at all. Surely they mean to say "vocal minority of rightwing religious groups"!

2:27 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The only thing faggots can do is spread AIDS, its their claim to fame.

1:10 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home